Myocardial infarction (from Latin: Infarctus myocardii, MI) or acute myocardial infarction (AMI) is the medical term for an event commonly known as a heart attack. An MI occurs when blood stops flowing properly to a part of the heart, and the heart muscle is injured because it is not receiving enough oxygen. Usually this is because one of the coronary arteries that supplies blood to the heart develops a blockage due to an unstable buildup of white blood cells, cholesterol and fat. The event is called “acute” if it is sudden and serious.
Different modalities can be used to diagnose MI. But cardiac MRI is the most capable of assessing the damaged area, whether using contrast agent to delineate the damage or using strain measurement to identify the region and the extent of damage. A strain assessment of MI is one of the powerful tools from Myocardial Solutions because of its speed and optional contrast injection.
- Neizel M, Lossnitzer D, Korosoglou G, Schaufele T, Peykarjou H, Steen H, Ocklenburg C, Giannitsis E, Katus HA and Osman NF. Strain-encoded MRI for evaluation of left ventricular function and transmurality in acute myocardial infarction. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2009;2:116-22.
- Inoue Y. Assessment of Regional Strain in Myocardial Infarction Using 3T Tagged and Late Enhancement MRI.
- Mahmood A, Keel AJ, Soto A, Izbudak I, Karmarkar P, Boston RC, Fritzges D, Tai L, Marcelino M and Young RG. Mesenchymal Stem Cells Improve Regional Wall Function After Reperfused Myocardial Infarction.
- Diwan A, Krenz M, Syed FM, Wansapura J, Ren X, Koesters AG, Li H, Kirshenbaum LA, Hahn HS and Robbins J. Inhibition of ischemic cardiomyocyte apoptosis through targeted ablation of Bnip3 restrains postinfarction remodeling in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2007;117:2825–2833.
- Sasano T, Abraham MR, Chang K-C, Dannals R, Daniel H, Hilton J, Lardo A, Osman N, Marban E and Bengel F. Myocardial sympathetic innervation and regional strain in a porcine model of chronic myocardial infarction. 2007;48:2P.
- Mewton N, Croisille P, Revel D, Weber O, Higgins CB and Saeed M. Left ventricular postmyocardial infarction remodeling studied by combining MR-tagging with delayed MR contrast enhancement. Investigative radiology. 2008;43:219–228.
- Neizel M, Schaeufele T, Bride P, Los snitzer D, Korosoglou G, Giannitsis E, Katus HA, Osman NF and Steen H. Strain-encoded (SENC) imaging of myocardial function after acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2008;10:1–3.
- Chang S-A, Chang H-J, Choi SI, Chun EJ, Yoon YE, Kim H-K, Kim Y-J, Choi D-J, Sohn D-W and Helm RH. Usefulness of left ventricular dyssynchrony after acute myocardial infarction, assessed by a tagging magnetic resonance image derived metric, as a determinant of ventricular remodeling. The American journal of cardiology. 2009;104:19–23.
- Helle-Valle T, Remme EW, Lyseggen E, Pettersen E, Vartdal T, Opdahl A, Smith HJ, Osman NF, Ihlen H, Edvardsen T and Smiseth OA. Clinical assessment of left ventricular rotation and strain: a novel approach for quantification of function in infarcted myocardium and its border zones. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;297:H257-67.
- Neizel M, Korosoglou G, Schaeufele T, Lossnitzer D, Kuehl HP, Giannitsis E, Kelm M, Katus HA, Osman NF and Steen H. Strain-encoded imaging for prediction of functional recovery in patients after acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2009;11:O31.
- Smiseth OA. Clinical Assessment of Left Ventricular Rotation and Strain–A Novel Approach for Quantification of Function in Infarcted Myocardium and its Border Zones. 2009.
- Algohary AO, El-Bialy AM, Kandil AH and Osman NF. Detection of cardiac infarction in MRI C-SENC images. Universal Journal of Computer Science and Engineering Technology. 2010;1:36–40.
- Algohary AO, El-Bialy AM, Kandil AH and Osman NF. Improved segmentation technique to detect cardiac infarction in MRI C-SENC images. 2010:21–24.
- Helle-Valle TM, Yu W-C, Fernandes VR, Rosen BD and Lima JA. Usefulness of radial strain mapping by multidetector computer tomography to quantify regional myocardial function in patients with healed myocardial infarction. The American journal of cardiology. 2010;106:483–491.
- Neizel M, Korosoglou G, Lossnitzer D, Kühl H, Hoffmann R, Ocklenburg C, Giannitsis E, Osman NF, Katus HA and Steen H. Impact of systolic and diastolic deformation indexes assessed by strain-encoded imaging to predict persistent severe myocardial dysfunction in patients after acute myocardial infarction at follow-up. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2010;56:1056–1062.
- Yasuyuki K, Schuleri K, Lima JA and Lardo A.Unique technique of strain analysis using image tracking method for tagging MRI and non-tagged cine SSFP images: validation by using Pig Model with myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2010;12:1–1.
- Algohary AO, Metwally MK, El-Bialy AM, Kandil AH and Osman NF. A novel segmentation method to identify left ventricular infarction in short-axis composite strain-encoded magnetic resonance images. 2011:79622E–79622E.
- Hopp E, Lunde K, Solheim S, Aakhus S, Arnesen H, Forfang K, Edvardsen T and Smith H-J. Regional myocardial function after intracoronary bone marrow cell injection in reperfused anterior wall infarction-a cardiovascular magnetic resonance tagging study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2011;13:22.
- Oyama-Manabe N, Ishimori N, Sugimori H, Van Cauteren M, Kudo K, Manabe O, Okuaki T, Kamishima T, Ito YM, Tsutsui H, Tha KK, Terae S and Shirato H. Identification and further differentiation of subendocardial and transmural myocardial infarction by fast strain-encoded (SENC) magnetic resonance imaging at 3.0 Tesla. Eur Radiol. 2011;21:2362-8.
- Schuleri KH, Centola M, Evers KS, Zviman A, Evers R, Lima JA and Lardo AC. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance characterization of peri-infarct zone remodeling following myocardial infarction. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2012;14:24.
- Soleimanifard S, Abd-Elmoniem KZ, Sasano T, Agarwal HK, Abraham MR, Abraham TP and Prince JL. Three-dimensional regional strain analysis in porcine myocardial infarction: a 3T magnetic resonance tagging study. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2012;14:85.
- Altiok E, Neizel M, Tiemann S, Krass V, Becker M, Zwicker C, Koos R, Kelm M, Kraemer N and Schoth F. Layer-specific analysis of myocardial deformation for assessment of infarct transmurality: comparison of strain-encoded cardiovascular magnetic resonance with 2D speckle tracking echocardiography. European Heart Journal–Cardiovascular Imaging. 2013;14:570–578.
- Koos R, Altiok E, Doetsch J, Neizel M, Krombach G, Marx N and Hoffmann R. Layer-specific strain-encoded MRI for the evaluation of left ventricular function and infarct transmurality in patients with chronic coronary artery disease. International journal of cardiology. 2013;166:85–89.
- Malliaras K, Makkar RR, Smith RR, Cheng K, Wu E, Bonow RO, Marbán L, Mendizabal A, Cingolani E and Johnston PV. Intracoronary Cardiosphere-Derived Cells After Myocardial Infarction Evidence of Therapeutic Regeneration in the Final 1-Year Results of the CADUCEUS Trial (CArdiosphere-Derived aUtologous stem CElls to reverse ventricUlar dySfunction). Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;63:110–122.