Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) is a form of muscular dystrophy that occurs primarily in young boys and impacts muscles throughout the body. One very common symptom includes cardiomyopathy, and Myocardial Solutions’ products are capable of analyzing the progression of disease as well as the impact of possible therapies.
Measuring myocardial strain using products like HARP® can detect abnormalities in regional function even when global measures of heart function (EF) appear normal. Additionally, detecting abnormalities in tissue structure indicates fibrosis that can impair heart function. Using VIRTUE modules, you can find fibrosis in different segments of the myocardium.
- Hor KN, Wansapura J, Markham LW, Mazur W, Cripe LH, Fleck R, Benson DW and Gottliebson WM. Circumferential Strain Analysis Identifies Strata of Cardiomyopathy in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy – A Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Tagging Study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1204–1210.
- Wansapura JP, Hor KN, Mazur W, Fleck R, Hagenbuch S, Benson DW and Gottliebson WM. Left ventricular T2 distribution in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2010;12:14.
- Bilchick KC, Salerno M, Plitt D, Dori Y, Crawford TO, Drachman D and Thompson WR. Prevalence and distribution of regional scar in dysfunctional myocardial segments in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. 2011;13:1–8.
- Hor KN, Mazur W, Taylor MD, Al-Khalidi HR, Cripe LH, Jefferies JL, Raman SV, Chung ES, Kinnett KJ and Williams K. Effects of steroids and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition on circumferential strain in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a cross-sectional and longitudinal study utilizing cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2011;13:60.
- Hor KN, Wansapura JP, Al-Khalidi HR, Gottliebson WM, Taylor MD, Czosek RJ, Nagueh SF, Akula N, Chung ES and Benson WD. Presence of mechanical dyssynchrony in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2011;13:12.
- Mazur W, Hor KN, Germann JT, Fleck RJ, Al-Khalidi HR, Wansapura JP, Chung ES, Taylor MD, Jefferies JL and Benson DW. Patterns of left ventricular remodeling in patients with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy: a cardiac MRI study of ventricular geometry, global function, and strain. The international journal of cardiovascular imaging. 2012;28:99–107.