Cardiomyopathy is the measurable deterioration of the function of the myocardium which typically leads to heart failure, irregular heart beat, or sudden cardiac death. Cardiomyopathies, however, are not attributed directly to coronary heart disease.
There are a number of different contributing factors, although in specific patients, it may be difficult to know the exact cause. The important point to note is that cardiomyopathies do not occur suddenly, but progress in severity over time. Moreover, cardiac MRI is perhaps the best modality to diagnose patients with cardiomyopathies. With Myocardial Solutions’ products such as HARP® and SENC™, we can accurately measure deterioration in regional function of the myocardium, as well as other MRI characteristics of the tissue, and can often detect problems at their early stages.
- Giannetta E, Isidori AM, Galea N, Carbone I, Mandosi E, Vizza CD, Naro F, Morano S, Fedele F and Lenzi A. Chronic inhibition of cGMP phosphodiesterase 5A improves diabetic cardiomyopathy a randomized, controlled clinical trial using magnetic resonance imaging with myocardial tagging. Circulation. 2012;125:2323–2333.
- Fernandes VRS, Wu KC, Rosen BD, Schmidt A, Lardo AC, Osman N, Halperin HR, Tomaselli G, Berger R, Bluemke DA, Marban E and Lima JAC. Enhanced Infarct Border Zone Function and Altered Mechanical Activation Predict Inducibility of Monomorphic Ventricular Tachycardia in Patients with Ischemic Cardiomyopathy 10.1148/radiol.2452061615. Radiology. 2007;245:712-719.
- Heldman AW, DiFede DL, Fishman JE, Zambrano JP, Trachtenberg BH, Karantalis V, Mushtaq M, Williams AR, Suncion VY and McNiece IK. Transendocardial Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Mononuclear Bone Marrow Cells for Ischemic Cardiomyopathy: The TAC-HFT Randomized Trial. JAMA. 2014;311:62–73.
- Schuleri KH, Feigenbaum GS, Centola M, Weiss ES, Zimmet JM, Turney J, Kellner J, Zviman MM, Hatzistergos KE and Detrick B. Autologous mesenchymal stem cells produce reverse remodelling in chronic ischaemic cardiomyopathy. European heart journal. 2009;30:2722–2732.
- Setser RM, Smedira NG, Lieber ML, Sabo ED and White RD. Left ventricular torsional mechanics after left ventricular reconstruction surgery for ischemic cardiomyopathy. The Journal of thoracic and cardiovascular surgery. 2007;134:888–896.
- Kim YJ, Choi BW, Hur J, Lee H-J, Seo JS, Kim TH, Choe KO and Ha J-W. Delayed enhancement in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: comparison with myocardial tagging MRI. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2008;27:1054–1060.
- Hor KN, Wansapura J, Markham LW, Mazur W, Cripe LH, Fleck R, Benson DW and Gottliebson WM. Circumferential Strain Analysis Identifies Strata of Cardiomyopathy in Duchenne Muscular DystrophyA Cardiac Magnetic Resonance Tagging Study. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1204–1210.
- Mahmod M and Karamitsos TD. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) detects subclinical cardiomyopathy in asymptomatic patients with left bundle branch block (LBBB) and normal echocardiography. Heart. 2011;97:A68–A69.
- Maiellaro-Rafferty K, Wansapura JP, Mendsaikhan U, Osinska H, James JF, Taylor MD, Robbins J, Kranias EG, Towbin JA and Purevjav E. Altered regional cardiac wall mechanics are associated with differential cardiomyocyte calcium handling due to nebulette mutations in preclinical inherited dilated cardiomyopathy. Journal of molecular and cellular cardiology. 2013;60:151–160.
- Odudu A. Characterising haemodialysis-associated cardiomyopathy using deformation imaging by cardiovascular magnetic resonance tagging and speckle-tracking echocardiography. 2013.